“This workshop was the start of an evolving process of learning from inspirational campaigners and experts. It helped open my mind to more creative ways of elevating a campaign.”
- Frances Abson, London workshop 2012
SMK runs a series of one-day introductory level campaign workshops throughout the UK to equip people with the skills to bring about change at a local or national level. The programme is supported by the Tudor Trust.
We will be running workshops across the UK. We will update this page regularly as we arrange new workshops. The following workshops have so far been arranged:
Run in partnership with Greenwich Action for Voluntary Service
Date: Friday 7th June
Time: 9.45am - 4.00pm
Venue: West Greenwich House, 141 Greenwich High Road, London SE10 8JA (http://goo.gl/maps/WzlEp)
Speakers: Nick Raynsford, MP for Greenwich and Woolwich; Jim Wintour, former Head of Campaigning and Press for Shelter
Date: Friday 21st June 2013
Time: 9.45am - 4.00pm
Venue: Hotel Cladhan, Kemper Avenue, Falkirk, Stirlingshire FK1 1UF (http://goo.gl/maps/amNf5)
Speakers: Anne McGuire, MP for Stirling, Jill Buchanan, Chief Reporter/Business Editor, The Falkirk Herald
Run in partnership with Denbighshire Voluntary Service Council and Wales Council for Voluntary Action
Date: Friday 5th July 2013
Time: 9.45am - 4.00pm
Venue: WCVA, Morfa Hall, Bath St, Rhyl LL18 3EB (http://goo.gl/maps/zFT9y)
Speakers: Ann Jones AM, Labour and Co-op AM for the Vale of Clwyd
Who are they for?
These workshops are geared towards beginner campaigners. The day provides the opportunity to find out how to develop a campaign strategy and identify the key skills needed to run an effective campaign. They are suitable for those interested in influencing the policy decisions that affect their community or the people their organisation supports.
Participants will already be involved at a basic level of campaigning or are just about to get started - whether you are challenging local authority social care changes or protesting against a local incinerator - if you want practical information and advice about the next steps, then a campaign workshop is for you.
Please note that, depending on demand, we may restrict places to one per organisation.
What will you learn?
After the workshop, participants will have improved their skills and knowledge to be more effective campaigners. In particular, they will gain:
- Insight into the successful features of a campaign.
- Knowledge about the key steps in planning a campaign.
- Insights directly from a journalist and local MP about how to gain support for your campaign.
- A chance to meet other campaigners, developing their professional network and receiving peer support.
“After hearing from a councillor and a journalist, they have given me an understanding of how to approach Government as well as the media. I would definitely be more confident about contacting decision-makers and journalists.”
Campaign workshop participant, 2012
Find out here what the day provided for a previous workshop attendee.
These workshops are heavily subsidised but we still require all participants to pay a small fee of £10 to attend (if you want to attend the Greenwich workshop please see separate fee information below). However, if there is a reason you are unable to pay this amount, please email Aura Lehtonen prior to the workshop, briefly explaining your circumstances.
Lunch and refreshments are provided. If you have access needs or dietary requirements please let Aura know when you register.
Please either sign up to our e-bulletin or check this page regularly for announcements of future workshops.
* The Greenwich workshop is part of our new programme of training, so the fees are different. To ensure that we can continue to provide sustainable support to grassroots campaigners for free, we are asking those individuals and organisations who can afford to pay, to pay a higher fee (although this is still heavily subsidised). At the same time we have broadened the range of individuals and groups who can access our workshops for free. The fees are as follows:
- Medium and large charities - staff & volunteers (turnover more than £500,000): £40
- Small charities - staff & volunteers (turnover between £100,000 - £500,000): £20
- Very small charities - staff & volunteers (turnover less than £100,000): £10
- Individuals: £10
- Individuals (unwaged/students/low income): FREE