Introduction to campaigning workshops
SMK runs a series of half-day and one-day introductory level campaign workshops throughout the UK to equip people with the skills to bring about change at a local or national level. The programme is supported by the Tudor Trust.
What will you learn?
After the workshop, participants will have improved their skills and knowledge to be more effective campaigners. In particular, they will gain:
- Insight into the successful features of a campaign.
- Knowledge about the key steps in planning a campaign.
- Insights into how to influence political processes and decision-makers, as well as how to use the media to gain support for your campaign (this only applies to full day workshops).
- A chance to meet other campaigners, developing their professional network and receiving peer support.
Who should attend?
These workshops are geared towards beginner campaigners. The workshop provides the opportunity to find out how to develop a campaign strategy and identify the key skills needed to run an effective campaign. They are suitable for those interested in influencing the policy decisions that affect their community or the people their organisation supports. Participants will already be involved at a basic level of campaigning or are just about to get started – whether you are challenging local authority social care changes or protesting against a local incinerator – if you want practical information about the next steps, then our campaign workshop is for you.
Date: Wednesday 8th June 2016
Time: 10am-5pm (Full Day Workshop)
Venue: Building 1000 Lakeside North Harbour Western Road Portsmouth PO6 3EN
Date: Wednesday 15th June 2016
Time: 10am-5pm (Full Day Workshop)
Venue: New Walk Museum & Art Gallery 53 New Walk, LE1 7EA Leicester
SMK’s ‘Introduction to Campaigning’ workshop programme is part-funded by the Tudor Trust. While we want to ensure that we can continue to provide sustainable support to grassroots campaigners for free, we ask those individuals and organisations who can afford it to pay a fee (although this is still heavily subsidised). The fees are as follows: The following fees apply to staff AND volunteers:
- Large organisations (charities with a turnover of more than £5m; Local Authorities and private sector): £120 for half-day workshops / £180 for full day workshops
- Medium organisations (turnover between £500k – £5m): £80 for half-day workshops / £120 for full day workshops
- Small organisations (turnover between £100k – £500k): £40 for half-day workshops / £60 for full day workshops
- Very small organisations (turnover less than £100k): £20 for half-day workshops / £30 for full day workshops
- Individuals (this ticket type is for individuals who are NOT affiliated to an organisation or campaign group): £10 for half-day workshops / £15 for full day workshops
- Individuals (unwaged/students/low income) and grassroots groups with NO funds: FREE (please note, we cannot cover travel or other costs you may incur in attending)
A buffet lunch and refreshments are provided as part of the fee for full day events. For half day events we provide tea and coffee and light refreshments only. If you have access needs or dietary requirements please let Christina know when you register.
To book your place on this workshop, please click here.
If you would like information about how these workshops can be adapted for your organisation and delivered in-house, please email