People Power, our annual campaigners conference
People Power is a unique and high-level annual campaigning conference, organised by SMK in partnership with the Good Agency. It brings together grassroots campaigners, heads of major campaigning charities, and leading thinkers from the Government, media and corporate sector to debate current and emerging issues for campaigners. To receive information about People Power 2016 please sign up to our mailing list or email the SMK team.
Past People Power events
People Power 2014
People Power 2013
Some Tweets from the day:
“#PeoplePower13 inspiration, morale boost &lot’s of learning.” “As always #peoplepower13 was a great day of thought, discussion, reflection & thinking about the future.” “Hillsborough Campaign shows that perseverance gets answers, justice & change. Margaret & others are inspirational #peoplepower13.” “Lots of buzz in the room around propositions, audiences & styles of influence.” “Listening to passionate local campaigners turning passion into action #peoplepower13.”
People Power 2012
People Power 2011
- Keynote Address: David Lammy MP
- Balloon debate, chaired by Tony Juniper, environmental campaigner. Panelists included Jo Fox, BSkyB; Caroline Fiennes, Global Cool Foundation; Polly Higgins, environmental lawyer, This is Ecocide; and climate change activist Dan Glass, So We Stand/Plane Stupid Scotland.
- Breakout sessions included:
- Ellie Mae O’Hagan, UK Uncut
- Stephen Pittam, Trust Secretary, Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust & Martin O’Brien, Director of Reconciliation and Human Rights, The Atlantic Philanthropies
- Susan Nash, Vice President (Society and Citizenship), NUS
- Quintin Oliver, Director, Stratagem
- Abi and Emma Moore, founders, PinkStinks
- Samantha Heath, Chief Executive, London Sustainability Exchange
- Question Time session, chaired by Campbell Robb, Chief Executive of Shelter. Panellists included Lord Herman Ouseley, founder of the ‘Kick It Out’ campaign; Andrew Butler, Campaigns Manager, Lush Cosmetics; Louise Hanson, Head of Advocacy, Which? and Andreas Whittam-Smith, First Church Estates Commissioner and Vice President of Gingerbread.
People Power 2010
- Opening remarks: ‘Freedom Pass’ – Lyndall Stein, Chair, SMK
- Keynote speech: ‘Campaigners in the new decade – are we the new champions of democracy and change?’ – Kumi Naidoo, Executive Director, Greenpeace International
- Question Time: ‘How will Government engage with campaigners in the new decade?’
- Conversation 1: ‘What will charity campaigning look like in the next ten years?’
- Conversation 2: ‘How will the media (and the public) perceive activists in the coming years?
- Question Time: ‘What is the future of public protest?’
- Dame Suzi Leather, Chair of the Charity Commission
- Sir Hugh Orde, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers
- Tony Benn
- Matthew Elliott, Chief Executive of the TaxPayers’ Alliance
- Nick Hardwick, Chair of the Independent Police Complaints Commission
- ShamiChakrabarti, Director of Liberty